PARIAH vol. 1
A downloadable zine
A complete game in and of itself, PARIAH is nonetheless easily adapted to your preferred old-school system. Indeed, many of the tools provided would be useful in any RPG you think suitable for the weird world of proto-neolithic roleplay!
PRINT ON DEMAND EDITION AVAILABLE AT "THE OTHER PLACE" FOR $13
The zine contains instructions for generating a band of pariahs - outcasts from mainstream human culture forced into the dangerous wilderness:
- Classless and level-less: develop characters through interaction with the environment, building alliances, developing skills and forging pacts with spirits.
- Lateral development: special curse templates that can lead your characters down unexpected paths including ghoul, jackalwere and blood-drinker...
- Troupe play: control multiple characters, share them until they have grown into themselves, guide them as though you were their ancestral spirits.
- Build a community: foster young charges, care for the old, build the skill base of your pariah band, the better to face the challenges ahead.
- Die: lay down your lie for the good of your allies. Roll up another pariah!
Everything is alive: navigate a world where mountains, rivers, trees and even insects possess their own desires and ambitions!
- Rules for generating spirits and determining their attitude to the PCs.
- An original magic system based on conjuring, binding and bargaining with spirits.
This is a time of chaos: rationality has yet to force reality into a fixed form, and the boundaries between the corporeal and ethereal fluctuate...
- Six psychedelic entheogens with unique properties!
- Travel to the spirit world and find the true name of your enemies.
- Create your own rituals, customs and traditions from afresh: this is a young world, and your characters are defining a new culture!
- Emphasis on player skill over character skill: play as the characters' guardian spirits, not as the characters themselves.
- Highly lethal: get them out of danger quickly or be prepared to roll up another one.
- Sandbox style play: GMs are encouraged to create situations and challenges, not linear plots. Let the world come alive and happen around the PCs, with or without their participation!
- Rulings not rule: Take your pick of the guidelines within the zine, and fashion them to the tastes of your table. Use the tools for generating a world and populating it with danger and intrigue without being bound by mechanics.
- Familiar: Uses the traditional six ability scores and five saves so easy to pick up and easy to adapt to other old school systems.
- No longer available, please download the art-free pdf for no charge:
In order to download this zine you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of £5 GBP. You will get access to the following files:
Support this zine at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
Community copies are no longer available.
We invite you to download the art-free PDF at no charge.
You can also access the complete ruleset as a google doc:
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.